In the past, the Orlice River formed a natural defensive barrier for the fortress of Hradec Kralove. When the Baroque walls completely disappeared at the end of the 19th century, the city’s oldest villas were built on its banks. The magnificent Neo-Renaissance houses of architect Václav Reihill are particularly impressive here. They are backed by generous functionalist villas that belonged to the city’s most opulent buildings at the time.
The route is 1 kilometer. | | Photo: Pavel Švec, Mapy.cz
Hradec Kralove is a breathtaking city with a long tradition of clever planning. Well-thought-out urbanism is complemented by precious buildings by eminent architects and splendid villas of various styles. The oldest residential area was created between Komenskejo Street and the right bank of the Orlis River. At the end of the 19th century, the city acquired large tracts of the former fortress, demolished the ramparts, and already in 1902 the first luxury villas were built here.
Villa Maceiković | Photo: Pavel Švec
Pleasant Hradebny Street No. 851/8 (On Map: 1), a family house built in 1935 with an interesting entrance portico with a projecting staircase and a partially covered terrace topped by three prismatic columns. The house was designed by architect Frantisek Mahachu for Frantisek and Anna Machejkova.
Hrouzkova Villa | Photo Photographer: Pavel Švec
In the neighboring garden on the right is the somewhat younger villa of Frantisek Hrzek, a lawyer and government councilor for political administration. Built in 1932 with a purist spirit designed by architect Jan Leikroh (1899-1985). He co-authored Hradec his Kralove Classicist Central Station and the building of the Medical Faculty near the city centre. (Hradební no. 819/6, On map: 2). Rejchl and his family will be told further.
Villa Novakovic | Photo: Pavel Švec
A short distance from here, at the intersection of Hradební and Nezvalova streets, is the unmissable corner villa with a polygonal corner tower and a decorative half-gable gable. This was built by architect Jaroslav Pažout in his 1909 for teachers. František Novák and his wife (Nezvalova no. 221/6, On map: 3).
“An early example of modern architecture (Nezvalova no. 529/1, On map: 4), the work of Ordzyg Riska (1881-1959), one of the main representatives of urban architecture in the first half of the 20th century, working as a city architect at the time. Institute.
Evangelical Church | Photo: Pavel Švec
Liska has been very productive. He collaborated with the icons of Czech modernist architect Jan Kotěra (1871-1923) and his Josef Gočár (1880-1945). He designed, for example, the local municipal baths with pool, Lomnice nad he Tyl Theater. Jubilee Temple of Popelkow or Master Janhus with Cubist interiors in Petzky. One of his characteristic elements of his evangelical church in Hradec Kralove, built in 1912, is the roof of the tower in the form of a Hussite helmet, with a mace-shaped tip .
Villa in Waldeck | Photo: Pavel Schwedz
Across the street is a robust functionalist corner villa (Nezvalova no. 826/2, On map: 5) was made by father Willem Waldek for his daughter Emilia Waldekova Kmochova as a wedding present. Built in 1932, the house was designed by František his Janda (1886-1956), a prominent student of Jan his Koteera at the School of Applied Arts in Prague. František Janda is the author of many of the great buildings built in Poděbrady before the First World War. Winter Spa Hotel, Art Nouveau Spa Guest House, Villa Amarca.
“Waldeková-Kmochová did not own the house for a long time. In the 1930s he had to sell it because his parents could not keep up with the mortgage payments. It was confiscated,” says Královéhradecky’s Building Manual website. It’s not the only case on the route where owners were unable to afford the construction costs of their generous homes.
Urban villa | Photo: Pavel Švec
One address away from the garden, Jan Kozina No. 845/6 (On map: 6), representative of the Late Functionalist style with an unusually designed façade, separated by strips of brick and smooth plastered surfaces. The villa, which took only four months to build, was designed in 1933 by the architect Bedzikhinobotny for Anna Her Urbahnkovar.
Villa in Vollicek | Photo credit: Pavel Švec
Adjacent Placelova leads back to Hradebni Street with its overgrown strips and tree-lined streets. There is a set of family homes on the right hand side that should not be missed. The first with decorative shields and a wooden winter garden structure was built in 1921 by factory worker Čeněk Woğlěcek from Vinohrady in Prague in 1921. The author of the project is the architect Josef Povisil (Castle no. 586/4, On map: 7).
Villa in Krumpa | Photo credit: Pavel Švec
To its left is a magnificent building with signs of Neo-Renaissance and Art Nouveau. At that time it was the largest urban villa in Hradec Kralove (Nezvalova no. 423/8, On map: 8). “It was built by architect Václav Rachel Sr. for himself and his family. and had to offer it to family friends, doctors, city hygienists, and locals in the politician Otakar Krumper,” explains the Royal Hladek Kralove manual. increase.
Václav Rejchl Senior was more successful. (1853-1928) For his three luxury villas nearby, he built from his 1902 to 1904 on the banks of the Orlitze River called Morshovka, which he then sold. There used to be baroque fortress walls here, but they have been replaced by the ideals of rural families.
Villa in Viewegh | Photo: Pavel Švec
The first Neo-Renaissance house (no façade decoration preserved) belonged to Karl Viewegh, an official who served as district secretary. Used in 1903. Today there is a chapel of the Seventh-day Adventist Church (Nezvalova no. 377/14, On map: 9). An interesting feature is the sundial on the shield containing excerpts from the Bible written in Latin. Fiat Volantas Tua Also you are done.
Whippler villa | Photo: Pavel Švec
More decorative is the huge two-storey building with 13 adjoining rooms, built in Neo-Renaissance style in 1902 for the grammatical school professor Karel Wipler (Orlické nábřeží no. 376/17, On map: 10). “It is a high-quality, authentically preserved document of Neo-Renaissance architecture, urbanly applied to the setting of the villa development in the southeastern part of the city reserve,” summarizes the monument catalogue.
The Building Manual also adds: Also in the band under the Roman crown, and in the use of moral inscriptions intended to evoke folk literature: God protect this house and its inhabitants.”
Wenceslas Reihill street. A skilled draftsman, he graduated from an evening course in decorative architecture at the Třebechovice School of Arts and Crafts and designed the sumptuous decoration of the façade himself.
Villa Morshovka | Photo credit: Pavel Shvets
The last building he mentioned in the local area stands behind Whipler’s villa at Placerova Street No. 374/5 (On the map: 11). In 1903, Josef his vetchika bought it with the handbook of the city’s savings bank. Shortly thereafter, the Hájk family moved here. The building manual points out: The building’s most striking element – called the morshovka (see attachment above the goal) – is the octagonal tower decorated with graffiti, and the broken with a lunette. It’s a cornice. The botanical graffiti on the tower is modern, as the original pictorial decoration could no longer be restored.
“The interesting thing about this building is that in 1912 it became the birthplace of the Yugoslav writer Hala Livnikarova, who wrote a book called Dítě z Hradec: Memoirs of her childhood in Hradec. I did,” explains the website. She then moved with her father, a pianist and conservatory professor from Hradec Kralove, to Belgrade, where she got married. During World War II, she worked on General Tito’s staff.
Villa in Siman | Stock Photo Villa in SimanPhoto: Pavel Švec
Orlicke Nabrzezy, three blocks away, houses the architect Frantisek Jaroslav Cerny (Orlické nábřeží no. 532/11, On map: 12).
Hovzek villa | Photo credit: Pavel Švec
In the adjacent garden, a family house with a high pitched roof and vaulted gable was purchased by Bohumil Hobzek, professor at the Králové Hradek Girls’ Gymnasium (Orlické nábřeží no. 447/8, On the map: 13). The builder’s name is indicated by the artistically carved initials BH on the entrance gate. The author of the proposals from 1909 was the famous Prague architect Josef Fanta (1856-1954), for example the magnificent building of Prague’s main railway station, the current Ministry of Industry building, or the Battle of Slavkov Impressive Peace Hill near Brno in relation to.
The oval relief of the Madonna and Child on one of the shields is the work of sculptor Čeněk Vosmik. He created reproductions of the Baroque statues on the Charles Bridge and the sculpture of the wrestling giants at the entrance to Prague Castle. And the owner of the futuristic villa with studio in Smichov, Prague, also designed by Fanta.
Villa in Honzag | Photo credit: Pavel Schwedz
Just before the adjoining Balbin Street crosses Hradebni Street, you’ll pass a pair of slightly newer villas. right compartment (Balbínova no. 657/1, On the map: 14) was built in 1924 as a residence for Bedřich Honzak, director of the Hradec Kralove Hospital. He commissioned her niece Milada Petzhikova-Pavlikova (1895-1985) and her husband Theodor Pesik for the project. The building has unusually beveled corners that correspond to the shape of the roof, and the facade elements are reminiscent of Cubist shapes.
Milada was the first woman to graduate from the Prague Polytechnic University and, among other things, she owned the collective housing of the Czech Women’s Club in Prague 1 (where the Drama Club is now located) and the rounded apartment building at Kvetna Street 5. designed. Square of Hradec Kralove.
Stein’s Villa | Photo: Pavel Švec
Across the street is the representative of functionalist architecture, the oldest residential area of Hradec Kralove (Balbínova no. 821/8, On map: 15). “The house was purchased by Walter Stein, president of a woodworking company who ran a sawmill in Protishche nad Labem and was extracting wood from the Kralove Hladek forest. It operated sawmills in Borova u Polichiki, Nove Musto na Morava and Shoszówka na Bransko,” according to the building manual.
The progressive villa was designed in 1932 by Jan Rejchl, son of the aforementioned architect Václav Rejchl. Building Materials His layout was originally fragmented and designed very imaginatively. This is no longer the case.In later years a terrace was built on the ground floor facing the garden, and a similar fate befell the ground floor terrace in the northwest corner, with the addition of a garage. Only the flagpole is preserved – an element that many functionalist villas had.
Photo: Pavel Shwec
The final stop on this route is the former student home, now the Drak Theater, which provided daily meals and accommodation for the most socially vulnerable cross-country students (Castle No. 632/1, On the map: 16). The wings on both sides are wooden and the central entrance is a kind of neoclassical brickwork. This part has a large hall that spans the ground floor and his ground floor. Completed in 1923, the building was authored by Hradec Kralove’s highly prolific architect Vaclav Rachel Jr. (1884-1964), another son of the already known builder.
The next part of the “outing” Aktuálně.cz goes to the area of Střelecka street in the western part of Hradec Kralove.
#Hradec #Králové #Morušovka #Amazingly #luxurious #villa #bankrupted #owner #present.cz